New Patients

New Patients

We will be delighted to welcome you as a patient. Please check that you live within our Practice boundary area (see map below).

If you are unsure whether your home is covered within the boundary map, please contact the Practice or e-mail


How To Register

To successfully register you must complete both steps below:

1. GMS1W GP registration FormGMS1W Form.pdf

Please print, complete, sign and then return to the practice by hand, post or scan and email to

Printed copies are also available to collect from the practice. 

2. Online New Patient Questionnaire - Click link opposite

Repeat Prescription - If you have a repeat prescription from your previous surgery please drop this into the surgery so we can add your medication to our records. 

NHS Number - If you are a UK resident, please ensure that you complete your NHS number on the registration form, as the Practice cannot register you unless we have this. If you are unsure of your number, please contact your current practice who will provide it.

Support - If you require any further information regarding registration, or cannot complete the online forms, please speak to a member of staff, or e-mail

My Health Online Registration Form

What is My Health Online?

If you are over 16 then you can register for a My Health Online account which will enable you to:

  • Request repeat prescriptions.
  • View a summary of your medical records which will include your current medication, immunisation history and allergies.
  • Update personal information.


Register for My Health Online

To register successfully you must complete each step in the following process:

  1. Complete a My Health Online registration form (link opposite).
  2. Provide photographic ID of the applicant (e.g PASSPORT/DRIVING LICENCE. Ordinary photos will not be accepted). Send either by email to , post or drop into one of the practice sites.


Next Steps

Within 3 working days you will receive an e-mail from My Health Online with a unique Account ID and Linkage Key.

Visit the website to and used the unique Account ID and Linkage Key to complete your registration: 


Problems accessing your account?

If you are having difficulties registering please use the link: My Health Online - Registration help or e-mail



Please be assured your personal details are protected using the highest standards of internet security, although it is your responsibility to keep your log-in details safe.





Temporary Patient Registrations

If you are ill while away from home, or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP Practice for 14 days. After 14 days you will need to register as a temporary or permanent patient.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local Practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that Practice.

To register as a temporary patient, simply contact the local Practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient, although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a Practice in the town, or area where you are already registered.


Ukrainian Refugees

Our thoughts are with everyone who has been impacted by the crisis unfolding in Ukraine. This is an extremely worrying and distressing time for communities around the world.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainian people have been displaced from their homes with many seeking safety and sanctuary in the UK and Wales through the Ukraine Family Scheme and Homes for Ukraine scheme.



It is important that you register with the GP surgery as soon as you can. By registering with the GP surgery, you will have access to GPs, specialist nurses, midwives and health visitors. Please contact the surgery for a registration form, or complete one online (See above How to Register). You will not need an NHS number at this stage.



If you have any problems with your teeth, you should ask for help from your sponsor/support worker to find a local dentist. You should ask for help from your sponsor/support worker to find a local Dentist that provides NHS treatment. If you sponsor/support worker can e-mail and you will be placed on a Centralised Waiting List.

For NHS dental treatment your sponsor/support worker will help you apply for a HC2 certificate

You will need to give this HC2 certificate number to the dentist when you book for your NHS appointment to avoid being charged for the NHS dental fees. You will need to bring this HC2 certificate with you when you attend for the dental appointment. For emergency care please contact CAV 24/7 0300 1020 247. You will not need to show a HC2 certificate to access NHS emergency dental care.



You should ask for help from your sponsor/support worker to find a local optometrist (also called optician) that provides NHS services. For NHS sight tests and NHS glasses please ask your sponsor/support worker to help you apply for a HC2 certificate

You will need to give this HC2 certificate number to the optician when you book for your NHS sight test to avoid being charged for the NHS sight test and glasses. You will need to bring this HC2 certificate with you when you attend for the sight test. For any urgent problems with your eyes, an emergency eye care service is provided by most optometrists 9am-5pm Monday to Friday. Some optometrists are open on Saturdays. You will not need to show a HC2 certificate to access NHS emergency eye care. For out of hours emergency advice you can call NHS 111.



The GP surgery is open between the hours of 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Friday (but not on public holidays or weekends).

If you have a health problem that is not an emergency (life/limb threatening) that cannot wait until the GP surgery is next open, please call 111 and they will direct you as to where you can access care. Please do not attend the Hospital- ring 111 and they will direct you to the hospital if they feel it is necessary.



All families/individuals arriving in Cardiff and the Vale will be offered public health screening. This is an additional health check for individuals who have come from overseas and who may have some additional health needs. The Public Health Screening is undertaken by a dedicated service called the Cardiff and Vale Health Inclusion Service (CAVHIS).

This service is based in CARDIFF ROYAL INFIRMARY IN CARDIFF (Out of Hours Building, Longcross Street, Cardiff CF24 0SZ). On registration with a GP surgery, CAVHIS will send an appointment to your address inviting you to attend for an appointment to complete the health screening.

COVID & Routine Vaccination

Vaccination leaflets and information for arrivals from Ukraine - Public Health Wales (

TB Screening

Tuberculosis (TB) English

Tuberculosis (TB) Ukrainian


We are committed to doing all we can to support those arriving in Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, Offering healthcare support directly.

We are also sharing the following a range of resources to assist accessing healthcare and mental health support

Supporting those affected by the crisis in Ukraine - Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (

Welsh Government have also developed a website  to help everyone to understand their rights. The website will also help you to learn about Wales and find out where to find help. See Sanctuary | Ukraine (