HIV Texting for Testing
A trailblazing HIV campaign is being launched in the Vale of Glamorgan to encourage NHS patients to get tested.
On behalf of Public Health Wales, all patients age 16+ with a valid mobile telephone number, will receive a text about accessing free HIV testing.
You will receive some information on how you can order a FREE and CONFIDENTIAL postal test kit from Sexual Health Wales to use in the comfort of your own home.
Participating GP practices are:
- Cowbridge & Vale Medical Practice
- Western Vale Family Practice
- Llantwit Major & Coastal Vale Medical Practice
The ‘Texting 4 Testing’ project, coordinated by Fast Track Cardiff & Vale, is being launched across GP practices in the Vale of Glamorgan. Pt.
Gian Molinu, chair of Fast Track Cardiff and Vale, said: "All sexually active adults should test for HIV - and it’s never been easier in Wales. Getting tested and treated keeps people alive and prevents the virus being passed on - so it makes sense! This scheme lets you do it in the comfort and privacy of your own home".
"We previously piloted this in a GP cluster in Cardiff and it was very successful. We believe this will bring us closer to achieving our goal of ending new HIV transmissions in Wales by 2030".
HIV testing in Wales is free, private and confidential. Those who receive a text message from their GP will be able to order a postal test kit from Sexual Health Wales online, through a link to their website.
The kit will arrive in a discreet box which fits through a letterbox. Anyone who does not get a text can also order a free, confidential HIV test through Sexual Health Wales: http://test.hiv.wales/t4tpr
The Texting for Testing campaign is part of a wider effort in Wales to end new HIV transmissions by 2030 and tackle HIV-related stigma. The only way to know if you have HIV is to get tested. HIV is a treatable condition and getting tested saves lives.
The test kits for the campaign are provided by Sexual Health Wales (formerly Frisky Wales) which is part of Public Health Wales. Anyone over the age of 16 who lives in Wales can order a free HIV test kit (among other types of STI tests) from the Test & Post section of their website: http://test.hiv.wales/t4tpr
More about Texting 4 Testing: https://fasttrackcardiff.wales/texting-for-testing/
If you have any questions about the postal testing please contact PHW.SexualHealth@wales.nhs.uk
Please do not contact the Practice about the campaign as we will only refer you back to Public Health Wales.
Please be assured:
- Your mobile phone number will solely be used by the practice in relation to the healthcare services offered or promoted by the practice
- You will not be contacted in relation to any other types of products or services.The mobile phone number will only be used by us and will not be passed to any other parties
- If at any time you would like to opt out of this communication method, please make a personal request to email@example.com confirming your full name and Date of Birth, and you will be opted out of the service. You may also like to include your reason for opting out, to help us review and improve the service in the future.
- No personal details will be included in the message to identify you
- Whilst we will regularly check your telephone numbers with you, please be aware that the onus of keeping your contact details current with the practice rests with you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check, or update your personal details.
Welcome to Western Vale Family Practice
We are a friendly, caring and forward thinking Practice. We provide healthcare to a patient population of over 12,000 patients across the Western Vale of Glamorgan. We also undertake the vocational training of General Practitioners, Pharmacists and Medical Students.
Our main site, which is also our administration centre, is in the purpose- developed Health Centre in Cowbridge, and we have branch surgeries in Llantwit Major Health Centre and St Athan surgery (see Practice locations).
Western Vale Family Practice is a non-limited Partnership owned by Drs McGovern, Wilkinson, Coleman, Davies, Cleland and Morris.
For information about our mutidisciplinary team see our team
We are contracted to provide Primary Medical Services by Cardiff and Vale University Health Board. Further details about Primary Medical Services in the area can be obtained from:
- Carers - As a Practice we actively engage with the local community and support local initiatives and events. We were the first Practice across the Vale of Glamorgan to have been awarded Silver Accreditation by the Vale Local Authority for the support and advice we provide to Carers
- Dementia- We are very involved with Dementia Friendly Cowbridge and the development of Dementia services for Western Vale residents
- Physical Activity - In order to support and promote the importance of physical activity amongst the young, the Practice is also very proud to have sponsored playing kits for the Cowbridge Rugby Mini and Junior Team, St Athan Saints mini football team and Llantwit Major girls team.